[squeak-dev] Updating on trunk crashes the VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 24 16:39:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 05:53:39PM +0100, Tim Felgentreff wrote:
> Hi
>
> Updating from the latest released image (10548) to trunk on the Cog VM
> crashes on Linux upon calling UUID>>initialize. Apparently, problems
> with libuuid and the Squeak VM are known, but is there a solution,
> besides rebuilding without the plugin and having the primitive fail?

The available information is here:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358

As near as I can tell, we are faced with two competing bugs in various
Linux distributions:

1) Some Linux distributions have a buggy libuuid library. The bug is
apparently not triggered when the UUID plugin is compiled internally,
hence the internal UUIDPlugin in Unix/Linux/Cog VMs.

2) More recently, some other 64-bit Linux distributions have accidentally
left out libuuid from their 32-but runtime libraries. On these platforms,
the VM will not run if it includes an internal UUIDPlugin.

So if the plugin is compiled externally, one group of Linux users
will get VM crashes due to bug #1. And if it is compiled internally,
a different group of Linux users will get VM crashes due to bug #2.

Frankly, I'm inclined to suggest removing the UUIDPlugin entirely
from the Linux VMs until the various distros stabilize. Anyone have
a better idea?

Dave