[squeak-dev] [ANN] true unicode left arrows without clobbering underscores (cs)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 4 13:13:04 UTC 2010

On 04.10.2010, at 13:31, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2010-10-04 um 10:22 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
>>>
>>> Thought of something like that myself.
>>> Does any other smalltalk allow 'true' arrows,
>>> btw?
>>> Anyone there to add the arrow to the default
>>> font(s)?
>>>
>>> So Long,
>>> 	-Tobias
>>
>> Our font's characterToGlyphMap could well map the codepoint 8592 to glyph index 256, and the arrow glyph be appended to the glyphs form ...
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Hm, sounds feasible but feels like a hack.

Not really, that's how fonts work nowadays. We do not want to pay the price in terms of memory for full coverage. So we select glyphs, and no font has full unicode coverage in any case. Now by what criteria we select the glyphs we can decide on our own.

> BTW: I noticed, that the Original Bitstream Vera is included as
> TTCFont, however, the Bitmap DejaVu StrikeFont is based on
> its Descendant. I noticed that the actual DejaVu font includes
> an arrow whilst the Vera does not. Why not replace the Vera
> by the DejaVu entirely?

Because it's too big once rendered into bitmaps. I'd be interested to know how large it would be if we had at least the LGC subset covered ... but the only additional glyph we really need right now is the left-arrow.

- Bert -