[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Compiler pedantic about ifNotNil: argument

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Oct 10 14:55:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Igor> i am also missing:
>
> Igor> someThing ifTrue: 1 ifFalse: 0
>
> Down that path lies ambiguity though.
>
> If you had
>
>  actionSymbol := aBoolean ifTrue: #doThis else: #doThat.
>
> do you want the symbol assigned, or performed?

The implementation is staightforward IMHO.
If the receiver expects a niladic block, then the argument is returned. If
the receiver can accept a niladic or a monadic block, then #cull: is sent
to the argument. If the receiver expects a monadic block, then #value: is
sent to the argument. This works perfercly with blocks.

Keyword selector symbols are equivalent with monadic blocks in this case,
so Symbol >> #cull: can be implemented as ^argument perform: self. For
other symbols #cull: is meaningless and #perform: will raise an error.

Levente