[squeak-dev] Global Smalltalk Image

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Oct 10 20:56:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, askoh wrote:

> Is this a good idea? Aik-Siong Koh
>
> Global Smalltalk Image
> Contains everyone's code.
> Ideas are never lost.
> Easy to search everything. (Indexed for fast search).
> Remove duplications. (Automated as much as possible).
> Includes all forks all the time.
> Code growth will slow with size as reuse becomes more and more effective.
> Programming becomes more and more high level with high reuse of lower
> levels.
> Lower levels becomes more and more optimized, stable and tested.
> Automated runtime packager to make small application images.

An image with all previous code cannot exist, there are conflicting
implementations of a lot of stuff. The code isn't in the image by default.
A database with full history would be useful. IIRC Marcus Denker had this
idea a few years ago.

Here are some problems to solve:
- one has to find all previous code (it's almost impossible, but the
sources/changes files can be found)
- we don't know the license of all methods
- the more forks are involved the harder to make it through
- some forks can have the same method under different method
name/method category/class/class category

Levente