[squeak-dev] Re: Global Smalltalk Image

askoh askoh at askoh.com
Sun Oct 10 22:44:17 UTC 2010

We can start with working images for Squeak, Pharo, Cobalt, etc, and with
applications like Seaside, Etoys, etc. Each can be put in their own
namespaces for starter. Once they are in, a search utility will bring all
the common code to a 'Common' namespace and all the duplicated code in the
other namespaces removed. Individual developers can then use more and more
of the 'Common' code in their projects and borrow code from other
namespaces. The automatic search utility will move code to Common if the
code is use several times in different namespaces. I think the different
projects will turn out to be quite thin as time goes on.

The Global Smalltalk Image can be archive weekly so that nothing is ever
lost. Everyone has the benefit of the entire knowledge of the Smalltalk
community forever. We can develop tools to traverse the image and its
history so that reinventing should not happen. Only truly new ideas will be
coded and hopefully at a very high level.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh