[squeak-dev] About squeak and etoys internationalization - possibly also feedback

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Mon Oct 11 14:48:43 UTC 2010

  Hi,

  First let me tell that other than "looking" at squeak one or two
times in the last 10 years, I only "really" used it from late friday
up to yesterday.

  I made this screenshot http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7/squeak1.png
of a previous pt_BR translated version I did, but after that screenshot
I corrected several of them, and translated over 1500 strings, took some
time to figure out myself on how to get to the proper tools, etc. I hope
to make a localized official mandriva package soonish...
[If you want to check the latest image, and 2010.0 backports packages,
 for classmate, check kenobi.mandriva.com/~pcpa]

  The problem is that, probably like etoys, if one does not open all
menus and interfaces, the strings will not be available to translation.

  Why I did it: Mandriva needs to provide an image for a government
bidding for classmate pcs, and I was asked to provide some help in
the "squeak" requested item. All I was shown was the pt_PT squeaklandia
and a "SqueakPlugin.image" that apparently is used by one usual
bidding winner (the request is for fully translated programs, and
that image is basically everything removed from sight).

  Hope this information is useful to some extend :-) Most important
one should be about suggesting some kind of automated procedure to
extract text for translators of Etoys, so that, all actual strings
are made available in the *.po files. Right now, for a "first timer"
like me, it is a if almost 90% of the interface were in english.

Thanks,
Paulo