[squeak-dev] Global Smalltalk Image

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Oct 11 16:46:49 UTC 2010

Lawson English wrote on Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:43:18 -0700
> See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5637 and related links and the thread
> I mentioned before.

A "single world wide image" was indeed my motivation in sketching out
Neo Smalltalk Modules. This was inspired by my observations of a group
of students trying to share a single image using the Kansas interface in
Self. There were serious problems, but the advantages were so compelling
that I can't imagine a way forward that isn't fixing the problems by
introducing a more robust infrastructure.

In a very similar direction, see the latest VPRI paper:

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2010001_worlds.pdf

"Worlds: Controlling the Scope of Side Effects"
Alessandro Warth, Yoshiki Ohshima, Ted Kaehler, Alan Kay

-- Jecel