[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] How about atomic value-swap bytecode?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 18:53:30 UTC 2010

2010/10/13 Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu>:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> An alternative solution:
>>>
>>> | a b |
>>> a := 1.
>>> b := 2.
>>> [
>>>        | tmp |
>>>        tmp := a.
>>>        a := b.
>>>        b := tmp ] valueUnpreemptively
>>>

>> Yeah, another boilerplate under the hood, also highly dependent from
>> scheduling nuances :)
>
> I don't get the "dependency from scheduling nuances part", but here's my
> idea:

i don't like the code, which assuming that scheduling works in some
specific way,
or some code can't be interrupted in the middle.

See Semaphore>>critical: for excersise.

| caught |
	caught := false.
	^[
		caught := true.
		self wait.
		mutuallyExcludedBlock value
	] ensure: [ caught ifTrue: [self signal] ]

this code assuming that between
		caught := true.
and
		self wait.

no interrupt possible.
But if it is, then the above implementation is incorrect.

> Add the compiler changes to support :=: as atomic swap. We don't really need
> a bytecode for now, since a sequence of assignments is currently atomic. So
> the compiler could compile :=: as three assignments using a hidden temporary
> variable. On other systems, :=: can be compiled differently.

For same reason, there is no any guarantees from VM side that three
assignments in a row will be
atomic: storing pointer could trigger a root check, and if roots table
is full, it could trigger GC,
and after GC, there is a finalization semaphore, which could switch an
active process immediately.

VM is evolving and subject to change. Having a clear rule which
guarantees a specific behavior is far more
beneficial comparing to intimate knowledge about how VM works (now).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.