[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] SharedQueue does scale (was: Re: SharedQueue doesn't scale)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 01:33:01 UTC 2010

On 19 October 2010 03:42, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 19 October 2010 02:06, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> snip
>>>

>>> Thanks, Levente for giving a feedback.
>>> Please, feel free to shape my classes in more complete from (such as
>>> proper naming),
>>> to make them ready for inclusion in both Squeak's and Pharo cores.
>>> I propose the following names:
>>> AtomicQueue (base class) -> AtomicCollection
>>> FIFOQueue -> AtomicQueue
>>> LIFOQueue -> AtomicStack
>>> If you, or anyone else having better suggestions, speak now :)
>>>

>>> I think these should be the names:
>>>
>>> FIFOQueue -> SharedQueue
>>
>> this name already used by Kernel.
>> So, unless my class will fully replace it, i see no way how i could
>> use this name in separate package.
>
> Yes, it would be good to replace the implementation IMHO. The API seems to
> be complete to me (except for copying ;)).

You mean this:

copy
	^ self errorDontCopy

errorDontCopy
	"copying a structure, involved in concurrent operations is a bad idea"
	^ self error: 'Copying not available'

:)

See how Squeak's EventSensor doing right thing to make a 'copy':

EventSensor>>flushAllButDandDEvents
	| newQueue oldQueue  |

	newQueue := SharedQueue new.
	self eventQueue ifNil:
		[eventQueue := newQueue.
		^self].
	oldQueue := self eventQueue.
	[oldQueue size > 0] whileTrue:
		[| item type |
		item := oldQueue next.
		type := item at: 1.
		type = EventTypeDragDropFiles ifTrue: [ newQueue nextPut: item]].
	eventQueue := newQueue.

Well, you might be right, that #copy can be implemented as:

copy
   | copy |
   copy := self class new.
   [ copy put: (self nextIfNone: [ ^ copy ] ) ] repeat

if it makes any sense, to anyone..

Its hard to imagine a situation where one may need to copy existing queue,
because he simply can keep using it.

>> Also, i must stress, that behavior of FIFOQueue only attempts to
>> closely resemble the SharedQueue behavior.
>> However, there is a situations (related to how scheduling works and
>> use of #yield), where using them could lead to deadlocks.
>> In this regard, an AtomicSharedQueue (a subclass of FIFOQueue) is much
>> better analogy to current SharedQueue.
>
> If you mean the case: "if process A tries to read from an empty queue, later
> process B tries to do the same, then process A is guaranteed to read before
> process B", then that shouldn't be a problem. It would require an external
> synchronization step to make use of this feature with the current
> implementation. I doubt that anyone wrote such code ever.

No. The problems is not in that. The problem related to scheduling and
how #yield primitive works.

Here the VM's primitiveYield:

primitiveYield
"primitively do the equivalent of Process>yield"
	| activeProc priority processLists processList |
	activeProc := self fetchPointer: ActiveProcessIndex
						 ofObject: self schedulerPointer.
	priority := self quickFetchInteger: PriorityIndex ofObject: activeProc.
	processLists := self fetchPointer: ProcessListsIndex ofObject: self
schedulerPointer.
	processList := self fetchPointer: priority - 1 ofObject: processLists.

	(self isEmptyList: processList) ifFalse:[
		self addLastLink: activeProc toList: processList.
		self transferTo: self wakeHighestPriority]

Note #wakeHighestPriority.

So, a fetcher (which using #yield in spin loop) with priority higher
than pusher process, will loop infinitely
blocking pusher and all lower priority processes from advancing.

To avoid this problem, one should make sure that process which pushing
new items to queue
having either higher or same priority as any fetching process(es)
using same queue.
Or use wait-free access to queue (avoid use #next, use #nextOrNil instead).

That's why in subclass - AtomicSharedQueue, i using semaphore to
workaround this issue.

And potentially, it would be good some day to have a way to say to scheduler:
please stop current process and see if you can run anything with lower priority.
(Another reason to move scheduling to language side, so we are free to
modify it in a way we like ;).

>> As i noted in another mail, i see that we might also provide a
>> separate wait-free interface. So we can guarantee,
>> that if you using only wait-free interface, a queue can never be the
>> cause of deadlock.
>
> That's great, and it can be a future addition even if we push the current
> implementation to the Trunk.

Yes. I think that for most cases in concurrent environment, a
wait-free access is preferable way to work with queues.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.