[squeak-dev] What is meant by 'shrink' in the VM parameters?

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Fri Oct 22 20:40:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info John.  We'll take this and watch things for a while.
>
> You are quite probably right about my reading too much into the RSS
> value.  I've felt like on the occasions when the RSS does go down that
> it is because it is moving into swap.  What has triggered my concern is
> when free memory is down to single digit megabytes and swap is half
> used.

Hi Ken,

Would you remind us what the original problem was? If I understand
your recent messages on the subject, it seems that a) Squeak isn't
using large amounts of memory and b) the memory used isn't creeping up
over time. Is it just that the RSS is significantly larger than what
the VM reports it's using for the object memory, and you're wondering
why the kernel leaving stuff paged in?

Colin