[squeak-dev] refactoring browser in Squeak?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:34:50 UTC 2010

I want to rename some methods.  Does anyone know what the status of
the Refactoring Browser is in Squeak?

Back in May of this year, we had this script to get it going in OmniBrowser:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-May/150436.html

but, unfortunately, this script no longer works for me in either 4.1
or 4.2.  (Hence my advocacy in the past for real _configurations_).

One thing that changed was that Scanner>>#allowUnderscoreAsAssignment
was renamed to #prefAllowUnderscoreAssignments.  Does anyone know why
this selector was changed, and whether we can change it back?  Besides
the breakage, the new "pref" prefix seems inconsistent..

Updating that sender to prefAllowUnderscoreAssignments in a stock
Squeak 4.1 then gets a bit further to:

This package depends on the following classes:
  RBBlockLintRule
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
these definitions:
  RBArgumentVariableNamesSpellingRule
  RBArgumentVariableNamesSpellingRule>>checkMethod:
  RBArgumentVariableNamesSpellingRule>>name
  RBClassCategoriesSpellingRule
  RBClassCategoriesSpellingRule>>checkClass:
  RBClassCategoriesSpellingRule>>name
  RBClassCategoriesSpellingRule>>resultClass
  RBClassCommentsSpellingRule
  RBClassCommentsSpellingRule>>checkClass:
  RBClassCommentsSpellingRule>>name
  RBClassCommentsSpellingRule>>resultClass
  RBClassNamesSpellingRule
  RBClassNamesSpellingRule>>checkClass:
  RBClassNamesSpellingRule>>name
  RBClassNamesSpellingRule>>resultClass
  RBClassVariableNamesSpellingRule
  RBClassVariableNamesSpellingRule>>checkClass:
  RBClassVariableNamesSpellingRule>>name
  RBClassVariableNamesSpellingRule>>resultClass
  RBInstanceVariableNamesSpellingRule
  RBInstanceVariableNamesSpellingRule>>checkClass:
  RBInstanceVariableNamesSpellingRule>>name
  RBInstanceVariableNamesSpellingRule>>resultClass
  RBLiteralValuesSpellingRule
  RBLiteralValuesSpellingRule>>add:to:
  RBLiteralValuesSpellingRule>>checkMethod:
  RBLiteralValuesSpellingRule>>initialize
  RBLiteralValuesSpellingRule>>name
  RBMethodCommentsSpellingRule
  RBMethodCommentsSpellingRule>>checkMethod:
  RBMethodCommentsSpellingRule>>name
  RBMethodProtocolsSpellingRule
  RBMethodProtocolsSpellingRule>>checkClass:
  RBMethodProtocolsSpellingRule>>name
  RBMethodProtocolsSpellingRule>>resultClass
  RBMethodSelectorsSpellingRule
  RBMethodSelectorsSpellingRule>>checkMethod:
  RBMethodSelectorsSpellingRule>>name
  RBSpellingRule
  RBSpellingRule classSide>>isVisible
  RBSpellingRule>>check:
  RBSpellingRule>>checkIdentifier:
  RBSpellingRule>>checkLiteral:
  RBSpellingRule>>checkSelector:
  RBSpellingRule>>group
  RBSpellingRule>>normalizeCamelCase:
  RBSpellingRule>>normalizeIdentifier:
  RBSpellingRule>>normalizeLiteral:
  RBSpellingRule>>normalizeLiteral:on:
  RBSpellingRule>>normalizeSelector:
  RBSpellingRule>>rationale
  RBSpellingRule>>severity
  RBTemporaryVariableNamesSpellingRule
  RBTemporaryVariableNamesSpellingRule>>checkMethod:
  RBTemporaryVariableNamesSpellingRule>>name

Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

I just want to rename some methods.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

  - Chris