[squeak-dev] Re: System change notifications & Smalltalk(Image)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Sep 1 02:35:46 UTC 2010

One thing to consider here is that Announcements are much more of a
pattern than a framework. I.e., all it takes is an announcer
implementing #on:do: and #announce: and you're ready to go. Given that
we have an event hierarchy for system events already, how about using
just that?

It would mean that we implement suitable #on:do: and #announce: methods
in SystemChangeNotifier and start implementing the proper event handlers
in whichever place we feel like, perhaps start in SmalltalkImage as an
example of use.

As we migrate away from the old usage, we can make more specific event
kinds and get rid of all those awful tests like "(anEvent isRemoved and:
[anEvent itemKind = SystemChangeNotifier classKind])" by replacing them
by appropriately scoped events, i.e.,

SystemChangeNotifier uniqueInstance on: ClassRemoved do:[...].

This approach also preserves sufficient compatibility as we move forward
since all the existing protocols would continue to work.

Cheers,
   - Andreas