[squeak-dev] [Cuis] documentation glitch

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Sep 2 04:09:09 UTC 2010

On 01/09/2010 10:38 p.m., Ross Boylan wrote:
> I just downloadedd http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis2.6-0540.zip and
> unzipped it on Debian GNU/Linux (stable release).  The
> Cuis2.6ReleaseNotes.txt file does not display properly when I use more.
> The start looks like this
> ross at corn:/usr/local/src/squeak/Cuis2.6$ more Cuis2.6ReleaseNotes.txt
> Cuis Release notes - Only the most relevant Cuis specific changes are detailed here. To see all of them, browse the numbered change
> s themselves, that are part of this release. Cuis official site is http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
>
> - Several minor fixes and enitive by defaultes.for debugging.
> ancements
>
> New in Cuis 2.5
> - Compatibility with the Cog VM
>
> For example, "New in Cuis 2.6" and the first several points beneath it
> has been eaten, and the displayed text is mangled.
>
> In emacs I think I see all the text, though there are quite a few spots
> that should be line breaks that instead display "^M" (without the
> quotes).  I assume these are what messed up the display.  I don't see an
> obvious difference between lines that end with ^M and those that simply
> end and move on to a new physical line.
>
> It does look as if the use of ^M has something to do with the particular
> block of release notes: 2.6, 2.3 and 2.0 have them (though they have
> some regular line ends too), and the others don't.
>
> The problems may have something to do with the system being UTF8 based
> (LANG=en_US.UTF-8).

Hi Ross,

I don't think there is a problem with encoding. Part of the text was
written in Cuis and uses the Squeak line ending convention (CR, or ^M).
Most editors have no problem with that, but it seems emacs and more
can't handle it. Perhaps that's all the problem, not sure.

For the next Cuis release (it will be out soon), I'll ensure all line
endings are either Unix or Windows convention. Hopefully that will do it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich