[squeak-dev] Re: Advice on Mix and Match: squeak, cuis, magma, bobsui, maui

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Sep 2 07:05:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 22:32 -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi Ross -
>
> Squeak 4.1 includes the Cuis editors and they are enabled by default. In
> Squeak 4.1 you can actually switch the editor to use (mostly just so
> that we have a fallback if something goes horribly wrong):
>
> 	"The old ParagraphEditor hierarchy"
> 	TextMorph defaultEditorClass: TextMorphEditor.
>
> 	"The Cuis editor hierarchy"
> 	TextMorph defaultEditorClass: SmalltalkEditor.
>
> In other words, choosing the Cuis editors as the basis is exactly the
> right thing to do and should work in Squeak 4.1, 4.2 and Cuis.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
I believe the Cuis editors in squeak were based on a version of Cuis
after the inheritance of classes from MVC was eliminated, but before the
machinery was changed over to rely exclusively on Morphic.  So the
actual operation remains substantially MVC.

For  example, the released squeak 4.1 image has the "cuis" editor
SmalltalkEditor a subclass of Editor.  The initialize method of that
class says
	sensor := InputSensor default
and the code uses that sensor extensively.  So the class no longer
inherits from MVC, but it still relies on MVC for many of the internals
of operation.  And it makes relatively little use of the Morphic
protocols for handling and managing events when it gets to managing the
actual editing.

In contrast the latest Cuis image (2.6) has none of that, using morphic
protocols instead to manage and get keystrokes and other events.

Ross