[squeak-dev] OSProcess and Cuis

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Sep 2 21:20:41 UTC 2010

I'm getting errors trying to file OSProcess (the st file from
OSProcess-dtl.56.mcz) into Cuis.  I am trying to do this so I can run
magma tests.

I don't know if there's any chance of this working.  In the image
Smalltalk listBuiltinModules #('ExuperyPlugin 27 February 2009 (i)')
Smalltalk listLoadedModules. #('UnixOSProcessPlugin 27 February 2009 (e)' 'SoundPlugin 27 February 2009 (e)' 'BitBltPlugin 8 April 2009 (e)' 'LargeIntegers v1.5 27 February 2009 (e)' 'MiscPrimitivePlugin 27 February 2009 (e)' 'SecurityPlugin 27 February 2009 (e)' 'FilePlugin 27 February 2009 (e)')
So it looks as if the necessary  plugin is there (Smalltalk vmVersion
'Pharo0.1 of 16 May 2008 [latest update: #10074]')

I think there's a small bug in OSProcessAccessor
class>>forThisOSProcess.  I changed the last 2 lines to be
			oldAccessor ifNotNil:
				[oldAccessor release; finalize.].
			^ ThisOSProcessAccessor := self concreteClass basicNew initialize]
I added the ifNotNil: test; without it release fails because it is sent
to an undefined object.  The ifNotNil: test probably belongs earlier in
the code, but this was enough to get it to run.

However, the final initialize fails.  It calls
UnixOSProcessAccessor>>grimReaperProcess, which fails because grimReaper
is nil.  I notice the very last OSProcess changeset touched this method.

I'm not sure if the problem is in OSProcess or in Cuis missing something
that is expected.  Or maybe I should try a different VM? Anybody know
what to do?

I'm running on Linux.

Ross

P.S. http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/708 on OSProcess includes a seemingly
dated reference to a sar file.  It might need an update.