[squeak-dev] Re: Is Cincom slowly killing Visual Smalltalk Enterprice

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Fri Sep 3 03:59:43 UTC 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 8:19 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Can you post a definitive answer to the other points (excluding the Seagull point). Namely:
> >> Cincom has exclusive rights for selling and supporting VSE
> >> Cincom has refused to sell/donate their rights

Having no knowledge of the situation (and being employed by another vendor), my guess is that corporate lawyers rarely have time to review requests to give away company assets. The Smalltalk team might be happy to hand it over, but if they have to make a business case to others, then the challenge could be significant. On a project I worked on years ago, everyone up to the CIO agreed in principle to donate some unused software, but we never got the lawyers to put it in writing.

James