[squeak-dev] Re: [Documentation] What about package comments?

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Fri Sep 3 22:08:41 UTC 2010

Am 03.09.2010 um 19:59 schrieb Ralph Johnson:
> On 9/3/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> A package is a (sub-) instance of PackageInfo. Packages are held by PackageOrganizer.
>>
>> One idea would be to include a PackageInfo subclass in each package, and its class comment or methods would describe the package. That would hook into HelpSystem so one could browse comments, instructions, examples etc. per package.
>>
>> There are a few conventions for that already, e.g. the class name should end in "Info" and it should be in a category named "PackageName-Info".
> We could certainly include a PackageInfo subclass in a package.  But
> Monticello wouldn't use it to make the instance of the package, would
> it?
The strange thing is that PackageInfo supported subclasses from day one. According to Avi they were even required at first. However, I looked but could not find a place in the code where they are instantiated. It seems that one has to manually register them by code in order to use them. It seems that no PackageInfo subclasses can be created by just using the tools. :-/

- Bernhard