[squeak-dev] Re: [Documentation] What about package comments?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Sep 4 12:12:14 UTC 2010

On 04.09.2010, at 07:53, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> 1) How are the 29 PackageInfo instances currently used?

To gather info about which classes and methods are in a Monticello package. Also, to hold package load/unload scripts (which is a hack).

> How have they been created?

Typically by MCPackage>>packageInfo.

Or interactively. E.g. one can ask for all ToolBuilder classes even though ToolBuilder is 4 separate MC packages in trunk:

	(PackageInfo named: 'ToolBuilder') classes

> 2) What does the PackageOrganizer instance do?

It holds onto PackageInfo instances, so that after creating one you always get the same instance.

> Is it just used by the PackagePaneBrowser?

The PackagePaneBrowser has nothing to do with packages. It operates on class categories, not packages. I do not find it useful.

The only shipping browser showing packages is in Monticello, when you click "browse". Monticello has a separate registry:

	MCWorkingCopy allManagers collect: #package

- Bert -