[squeak-dev] Squeak browser plugin and JavaScript

Rob Withers reefedjib at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:43:02 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I have an idea for a large scale project.   Hopefully some of you will find
it interesting and give me a hand as I don't really know yet what I am
doing.  Please speak up with advice, pointers, links and opinions.

Here is my idea...develop a Squeak browser plugin for the various browser/os
combinations which will emit and communicate with JavaScript which will run
in the browser.

JavaScript runs in most browsers as a client-side scripting language.  It
has reasonable UI widgetry for a client.  GWT is a really powerful
framework/toolkit, which integrates a JavaScript front-end with a Java
back-end.   In the process of development with GWT, you use Java classes and
your own subclasses to develop the front-end.  You can code, test, inspect
and debug in Eclipse (using a browser plugin from GWT for development mode
testing in the browser).  When ready, you compile all the client code into
JavaScript for performance.

I think it is possible to stream JavaScript to a running JavaScript page
(page/instance/vm?) dynamically.

I think the place to start is to revive the browser plugin build for squeak.
Next would be to serve up some initial JavaScript to prototype the concept.
Next would come a thorough development of Client classes in Squeak to
represent and emit JavaScript.  Not sure what that entails exactly.

Does anyone have any interest in such a project?

Best,
Rob