[squeak-dev] Mantis status meanings

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Sep 6 21:10:38 UTC 2010

> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: [squeak-dev] Mantis status meanings
> From: "Sean P. DeNigris" <sean at clipperadams.com>
> Date: Mon, September 06, 2010 3:50 pm
> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
>

> What do these mean?

  The developer(s) are asking the reporter for more information, should
of course be accompanied by one or more posts with the questions.

>  - acknowledged

  The developer(s) acknowledge the receipt of the report and that they
understand it sufficiently to investigate further.

>  - confirmed

  The developer(s) have tested and can confirm that the report is
essentially the accurate and that there is sufficient information to
seek a solution.

In my opinion these last two are nearly synonymous and either one or the
other or both could be used.  Keep in mind that not every issue goes
through every status, in fact I would say that is rarely the case.

>  - pending

  A proposed fix is attached to the report (feedback status may also be
used to request comments on one or more proposed fixes).  This is
another status that is rarely used in my opinion.

>  - testing

 This is much like pending except perhaps further emphasizing that
testing of one or more proposed fixes is requested.

>  - resolved (how is this different than closed?)

  For our purposes this status very specifically means that a fix has
been added to Trunk, but that a new  official version of Squeak has not
been released with the fix applied.  This is also the status if
development snapshots have been released with the fix.

 - closed

This means that the issue is over and done completely.  Either an
official version has been released with the issue addressed (please
indicate the version) or a decision has been made that the report is in
error, or is not be addressed, etc.

> I searched the forums on: 'mantis status,' but couldn't find anything
> definitive.  Specifically, I often file a bug and fix it at the same time,
> and never know what status to pick.

Generally speaking if the reporter supplies a fix there is no particular
need to change the status.  I suggest at most you set it at feedback,
indicating you would like opinions on the fix.

> Thanks.
> Sean
> --

Sure,