[squeak-dev] RE: Mantis status meanings

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Sep 6 22:15:39 UTC 2010

Let's take a step back...

1.  First of all, perhaps you didn't realize it, but Mantis is out of
style and never really caught on with this community.  For a while some
of us tried to insist its use was the official policy, but it never
really worked.  With the change to the New Community Development Model
it's use is purely optional and few Core Developers use it.  That said,
frankly I see little point in investing a lot of effort into it,
especially since my experience has been that no matter where you put
Documentation it is rarely read.

2.  Would you really say that barring a few details, particularly
regarding the resolved/closed statuses, that my explanation were at all
unlike what you assumed?  The reality is that I would expect most
developers to guess the appropriate meaning in most cases and also the
use of statuses for anyone other than core developers who should mark
issues resolved/closed as appropriate is really optional and
unnecessary.  In general we can deal with whatever a user does regarding
the statuses.

Ken