[squeak-dev] Re: MVC debugging

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 01:56:10 UTC 2010

On 9/6/2010 6:29 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> I think that the debugger (which is the critical thing), as well as a few
> other UI things, are simply missing some necessary ToolBuilder support.
> It's a bit tricky to figure this out because one cannot open a debugger
> to figure out what's wrong, but my guess is that if we can get the debugger
> working again that the rest of the broken UI elements would be fixable.

Well, let's see. I am able to run this:

	[Processor activeProcess debug] on: Error do:[:ex| ex return].

which means we're not fully hosed. The next attempt:

[Processor activeProcess debug] on: Error do:[:ex|
	ex signalerContext longStack inspect.
	ex return].

yields the following stack:

	UndefinedObject(Object)>>mustBeBooleanIn:
	UndefinedObject(Object)>>mustBeBoolean
	Debugger class>>ifPreferredInterruptUIProcessIfBlocked:
	Debugger class>>openOn:context:label:contents:fullView:

indicating that it's not anything ToolBuilder related. Commenting out
the call to ifPreferredInterruptUIProcessIfBlocked: (what an awful name)
makes the system go entirely idle and Cmd-Period causes the VM to exist
since it has no runnable process.

That leads me to believe that we're getting all the way through Debugger
class openOn:context:label:contents:fullView: to the end where it says
"process suspend" and no new MVC process is being spawned.

And that's about where my MVC knowledge ends these days. Any ideas how
to spawn the proper MVC scheduler process? It's probably some equvilant
to #spawnNewProcessIfThisIsUI: in Morphic but I don't know the magic
incantation.

Cheers,
   - Andreas