[squeak-dev] Re: Mantis status meanings

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 04:26:48 UTC 2010

On 9/6/2010 8:32 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Ken Causey wrote:
>> ...Mantis is... purely optional and few Core Developers use it.
> [shocked]  Okay, problem solved.  The "Bug Reporting" link on
> http://www.squeak.org/Community/ goes right to Mantis, so I always assumed
> that's how things were done.  Maybe a more appropriate note would be on that
> page... something along the lines of "We currently use Mantis for issue
> tracking... got ya!" ;-)

The reality is that Mantis is completely overloaded with old crap. And
we lack the man power to keep it current (if you're willing to help
you're more than welcome). I think that what we should probably do is to
just close all bugs older than two years to get a handle on it. Or
perhaps close 'em all and start over. The real problem with bug trackers
is that if they're not kept current all the time they tend to simply
overflow.

> My only outstanding question is: should I not bother entering things in
> Mantis and just upload to the inbox and be done with it?  That would be
> simpler, obviously, but what's the most helpful?

At this point, the most effective approach is likely to just upload to
the inbox. Since uploads are posted here we see them (we don't see bugs
on Mantis that are posted, fixed, etc. - one of the major shortcomings).
If the fix looks all right you've got a chance it'll be in. And if you
provide a test, you got a *good* chance it'll go in.

Cheers,
   - Andreas