[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 08:46:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Noury Bouraqadi <bouraqadi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry Andreas. I don't see the conflict of interest.
> You cleary missunderstood the point.
>
> ESUG is just an engine for moving the Smalltalk community forward.
> The ESUG board will not decide which is the best book, this is why the vote is open to the community.
> Nevertheless, ESUG board members likewise other Smalltalkers can submit their work.
>
> We spent time listing books about Smalltalk.  And one of our conclusion is that the community is not very strong on this point, since we have only few authors (Andrès Valloud, Stéphane, ...). And we are lucky to have them.
>
> The goal of ESUG is to promote Smalltalk.
> Showing that  Smalltalk books are valuable and encouraging people to write is the point here.
>
> We want MORE SMALLTALK BOOKS!
> This is the message that everybody should remember.

I think we need more translations also ! We have only Squeak by
Example in english and french. The same for Pharo by Example.
I was wondering that maybe this is difficult for people who don't have
the energy or the skill to  setup a repository for translation.
Maybe we should use an infrastructure like the one used for FLOSS
Manuals (http://en.flossmanuals.net/ ) in order to be able to launch
new translations very easily.

What is the community thinking about that ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk