[Esug-list] [squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 09:06:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Serge,
>
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <serge.stinckwich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think we need more translations also ! We have only Squeak by
>> Example in english and french. The same for Pharo by Example.
>> I was wondering that maybe this is difficult for people who don't have
>> the energy or the skill to  setup a repository for translation.
>> Maybe we should use an infrastructure like the one used for FLOSS
>> Manuals (http://en.flossmanuals.net/ ) in order to be able to launch
>> new translations very easily.
>>
>> What is the community thinking about that ?
>
> more translations: yes please, and I'm willing to contribute, but
> infrastructure is key. I don't have a clue about what is possible in
> terms of infrastructures for multi-language documentation/book
> projects, but if it provides good tracking capabilities (e.g.,
> alerting translators to languages B..Z when a substantial content-wise
> (not just language polishing) change is done in the version of
> language A), that would be worthwhile.

Yes, so maybe first step is to investigate the different open-source
alternatives and after that we deploy an infrastructure somewhere and
asking some ESUG funds ;-)

At the moment, i'm only aware of the FLOSS manual infrastructure,
mainly used by OLPC (but not only).
We could also used a Pier infrastructure like the one provided for
http://book.seaside.st/book
but there is no support for translations.

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk