[squeak-dev] Building Cocoa 5.x series plugins, and testing help needed.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Sep 8 07:11:36 UTC 2010

Ok, I was going to spend a few of my precious evenings going thru and rebuilding all/some of the plugins for the Cocoa V5.x series of VMs.
Maybe even update them for the Cog Stack and JIT VM.

However to do this I need some help from the community to test the creatures after they are done.
This evening I rebuild the Locale plugin and checked it into SVN to close this Pharo issue:

Now the problem is the Smalltalk code "Locale" for talking to this plugin sucks, it doesn't actually call most of the primitives and there aren't
any tests. Obviously if no-cares about using the plugin then I can't be bothered to poke at it.

However I did write some Objective-C code and jiggle it with a stick.

Therefore someone should write some tests, fix the Locale Class, etc and tell me if the plugin is sane.

You'll find the plugin in the Experimental Folder sub folder "5.x Plugins"

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/5.x%20Plugins/LocalePlugin.bundle.zip

Just unzip and drop it into the *.app/Contents/Resources/   folder

Now this might work with Squeak 4.x VMs, I've not tried it.
It might work with 64bit VMs (5.7x), I've not tried it.
It might work on PowerPC, I've not tried it.
It should work on the 5.8x series but I've not tried it out of canadian english, metric, PST, daylight savings time, georgian calendar settings
so I have no idea if it works oh say in France where you use Euros versus $ signs?

I've not bothered ported to iOS devices since it's unclear if anyone supports the Locale class?

Lastly I'll take suggestions on which plugin to rework next.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882