[squeak-dev] Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc fmateoc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 16:11:45 UTC 2010

 On 9/8/2010 6:46 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Florin, Andreas,
>
> Great thanks for this progress! I do get a debugger window now (yay!).
> I'm just heading out the door for the day but look forward to playing
> with this later.
>
> Dave

I made a little more progress:

there is a bug in MVCToolBuilder class>>isActiveBuilder, which only responds true when asked from within the UI process.
Well, there are other processes in MVC as well, and the interrupt handling happens to be from a forked process. As a
result, ToolBuilder default is always nil in a non-UI process.
My tentative solution for this is, (but I don't know how this works with multiple projects, if supported):

isActiveBuilder
    "Answer whether I am the currently active builder"
    "This is really a way of answering whether 'Smalltalk isMVC'"
    ScheduledControllers ifNil:[^false].
    ^(ScheduledControllers activeControllerProcess ifNil:[^false]) isTerminated not

I would also qualify as a semi-bug the fact that the Default class variable in ToolBuilder is unused. What looks like
lazy initialization in #isActiveBuilder never sets the variable. This was quite confusing and it threw me off track for
a while. If it is not used, (the setter is never called, at least not in the base image, not even indirectly through the
class pool, I checked :) ), it should be removed.

Florin