[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Building Cocoa 5.x series plugins, and testing help needed.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Sep 8 18:42:58 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-08, at 3:34 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> - #primCountry and #primLanguage seem to answer a three element String
> with the last element being a zero character (I assume a C string), this
> is not so nice. I'm not sure whether this should be fixed in the
> primitive or in the Pharo code.

The primitive is answering a  ISO 639-1 value (2 character) versus the  ISO 639-2 value (3 character)
I have to figure out how to get the  ISO 639-2 data, but it seems in looking it appears you'll get the 2 character
code versus the 3 character code on other platforms so I'll bet you need to deal with the case of 2 character codes.
The plugin assumes a 3 character value which is why you get the trailing null char. You'll need to deal with it.

> - All the primitives seem to totally ignore the locale id and only work
> on the system locale. This makes it a whole lot less useful.

? explain ?

In the primitive I ask for "autoupdatingCurrentLocale" The current logical locale for the current user. The locale is formed from the settings for the current user’s chosen system locale overlaid with any custom settings the user has specified in System Preferences. The object always reflects the current state of the current user's locale settings.

> - I'm totally confused by the Current and CurrentPlatform class
> variables. What's the difference? Do we really need both?
> - I'm confused by #isoCountry vs #primCountry and #isoLangauge vs
> #primLanguage. Do we need both? What's the point? Is this what you meant
> which cleanup?

Yes that would be cleanup..

There is also issues withe currency symbol, the logic assumes it's one byte, but it could be a unicode value
if you decide between the international symbol versus localized regional symbol.  I think the plugin is flawed
in that respect.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882