[squeak-dev] Quicktime player

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 00:06:40 UTC 2010

Seems I was labouring under a misapprehension. The MPEG plugin basically
does what one would expect. I thought the Quicktime plugin would be as self
sufficient. Then I could abandon the FFI. Nope. The QT plugin does ...
little. It has six primitives. It's been around since Squeak 3.8, and if it
does anything substantial, I can't see what it is.

I thought Quicktime.framework (Mac HD>>System>>Library>>Frameworks) could be
dispensed with. It's so indispensable that Sophie won't open without it. It
won't blink if the Quicktime plugin is missing.

Soooooo, for this to work at all Quicktime.framework it is. I thought there
was a QT player somewhere in Squeak's history. There isn't.

The subclassing of the movie class to the audio class is to emulate what's
happening in Objective-C. A subclass of NSSound or such. I guess you're
using semaphores to represent NSTimeIntervals.

I still can't get a clear grok on what gworld is. I suppose the "g" stands
for OpenGL or what. It's some kind of skin you can place to move the
projection screen to a place where it's not expected: like a Form.

And these buttons are being supplied by QTKit somewhere. And the whole thing
will play on Windows with things like QTMLClient.dll. Not gonna fly on
Linux, though. As you said.

Chris