[squeak-dev] Quicktime player

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Sep 9 09:20:43 UTC 2010

On 09.09.2010, at 02:57, John M McIntosh wrote:

> The fastest way is to go from Quicktime to Open/GL viewport overlaying the squeak window. But then you loose any ability for squeak to alter the bits since it never sees them.

The best way would be to give the bits to Squeak only if it asks for them. The UI could then enable fast overlay rendering while the video is unobscured, and switch to slow bitblt rendering when needed. It might be tricky to make the transition be seamless, but it is the only way to have our cake and eat it too.

Well, unless we switch to a layered rendering model where the VM does the compositing. Now that would be neat :) Though we'd still need access to the composited frame buffer for things like color picking and Etoys color tests.

- Bert -