[squeak-dev] Re: MVC debugging

Florin Mateoc fmateoc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:13:20 UTC 2010

 On 9/11/2010 4:49 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:26:21AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 01:42:32AM -0400, Florin Mateoc wrote:
>>> Ok, with the current changeset you can interrupt "[true] whileTrue" or "Smalltalk createStackOverflow", and if you let
>>> "Smalltalk createStackOverflow" run, it will trigger the low space watcher and you can then recover.
>>>
>>> For interrupting processes running at higher priority I think the appropriate solution is not the debugger but an
>>> emergency evaluator running at an even higher priority
>> Florin,
>>
>> Very nice! The low space watcher works correctly in MVC with your latest
>> changes.
>>
> To summarize where I think we are at on this, Florin's updates all look
> great to me (modulo the change from #open1: to #openDebugger: and perhaps
> a check for theInterruptedProcess ifNotNil: on the first line of
> #interruptName:preemptedProcess:) and I think they should be included in
> trunk.
>
> Andreas, can you confirm your agreement?
>
> Florin, can you please confirm that your changes are contributed under
> MIT license for inclusion in Squeak? Sorry if this was already done,
> I'm just checking in order to be careful with the license.
>
> If all is well I will do the updates to trunk tomorrow (unless someone
> else gets to it first).
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave,

Thank you for the test cases and for the update.

Sure, the changes are under MIT.

I know that, before, the method #interruptName:preemptedProcess: used to be sometimes called with a nil parameter. But
that was part of the problem, since even in situations when we knew what process we wanted to debug, we just lost it on
the way and ended up calling with a nil argument. Not because we needed to do so. For now I did change the callers so
that they don't call with nil anymore (in MVC). If a need arises for calling with nil, sure, let's add a check and a
comment justifying why it is so (and then we'll also know what we want to do in that case), but I don't like the "just
in case". If things don't happen conforming to our mental model they should break, to inform us about it.
I also don't expect this method to be called in packages outside the image. The method did not even exist in the old MVC

Cheers,
Florin