[squeak-dev] terse Object concatenation

Chris Muller cmm at 4dst.com
Sun Sep 19 20:53:16 UTC 2010

I would like to integrate this elegant extension to the
object-concatenation API.  Just as Exceptions may be easily
concatenated with the #, (comma) selector, now any object may, as
well:

  object1, object2  --> "{ object1.  object2 }"

and, equally, with other collections:

  { object1.  object2 }, object3 --> "{ object1.  object2. object3 }"

I find this particularly useful for user-interfaces that apply
Smalltalk interpretation to user text input, that the user was able to
write "lists" of items in a very terse and natural way rather than
demanding curly-brace developer-syntax.

I do not wish to reopen philosophical discussions; this is right
in-line with the spirit of Squeak's other concatenation conveniences.
There were no major objections when I proposed this a couple of months
ago, and if that is still true, I would therefore like to go ahead and
merge these 5 new methods into the trunk later this week.

 - Chris