[squeak-dev] Test run, new errors since last build (advice requested)

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 07:48:37 UTC 2010

2010/9/21 Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com>:
> Currently we have three more errors than we had in the last build that I
> rolled. I'm looking at a run on #10532.
>
> In general I'd recon it's an improvement, except for the errors (I don't
> mind new failures as long as the total number of tests has gone up by an
> equal or greater amount, but errors just give me the willies.) Also, the
> errors are to do with some stuff that looks like it could be hairy. Blocks
> and finalization. If these can be blessed by more experienced folks than me
> as "not that big a deal" then I would be quite happy to roll a build
> tomorrow night.
> Here's the numbers:
>
> 2803 run, 2762 passes, 9 expected failures, 28 failures, 4 errors, 0
> unexpected passes
>
> 25 new tests
>
> 9 expected failures (no change)
>
> 28 failures (2 more than the previous image)
>
> 4 errors (3 more than the previous image)
>
> Errors:
>
> EventManagerTest>>
>
> #testBlockReceiverNoArgs
>
> #testBlockReceiverOneArg
>
> #testBlockReceiverTwoArgs

Oh, I see, it was me introducing clean-up from Juan for
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7352 in
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-nice.482.mcz

Obviously, WeakActionSequence now restricts element class to
MessageSend and WeakMessageSend...
I see three solutions:

1) implement the 3 compatibility messages into classes of "valuable"
objects (like BlockClosure)
2) wrap those valuable object into a (MessageSend receiver:
valuableObject selector: #value) at creation time
3) revert the changes... and reintroduce the bug :(

I don't like 1 because it's spreading very specific messages in the system.
I don't like 3 because there's enough bugs in the image.
I much prefer 2)

Any other idea?

Nicolas