[squeak-dev] OpenGL performance on different platforms

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Sep 25 11:49:50 UTC 2010

On 25.09.2010, at 01:42, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>
>> Just curious ...
>>
>> On Ubuntu I get a merely 25 fps doing the OpenGL example. If I move
>> the mouse it starts to get faster and reaches about 60 fps. Why? Now
>> on Windows7 running inside VirtualBox(!) on the very same hardware I
>> get up to 400 fps and there is no influence by moving the mouse. Are
>> there some magic buttons I have to press before using OpenGL on
>> Linux/Ubuntu?
>
> I guess it's a driver issue. I'm sure there are OpenGL benchmarks written in C out there, so you can easily check this.

I've seen the "need to move mouse to cause anything to happen" issue even without using OpenGL. We never really figured that one out. It's not easily reproducible across systems.

There also was a possibly related problem in that our squeaksource server would freeze, and wiggling the mouse would get it unstuck.

- Bert -