[squeak-dev] [Croquet/Cobalt] Portal

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 19:14:15 UTC 2011

I've been playing the game Portal (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game)) for the last few months
and it has to be one of the best 3D games I have seen, right up there with
Spore as far as I am concerned.  One of the things that intrigues me about
this game is that it looks like it could have been inspired by Croquet,
although it wasn't.  So now in the next few weeks, a new collaborative
version of Portal is coming out, which should prove to be lots of fun.

I would think that it would be almost trivial to build the basis of this
game in Cobalt/Croquet and thereby have multiplayer capability right in the
first iteration.  But what kind of puzzles of this type would be interesting
for an undetermined number of players greater than 1?  This project sounds
interesting enough to me that it could be worthwhile to get back into the
Croquet/Cobalt community.  My concern is that the Cobalt/Croquet base still
may not be up to the performance and stability standards that would be
needed for a project like this.

Unfortunately I recently lost all the Croquet stuff that I had locally, so
whatever is out there on SqueakMap and such is all there is of my work.  The
biggest loss as far as I am concerned is the work I had done on making Tweak
the main development environment so that Morphic wasn't needed anymore.  It
was never finished and so never released.

So why am I writing this?  I'm not exactly sure, but maybe it has something
to do with finding collaborators to build a new Portal-like game in
Cobalt/Croquet and a little inspiration for puzzles.  Convince me this
sounds like a good idea!

Cheers,
Dave