SqueakMap revival (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Refactoring Browser and Rewrite Engine for Squeak)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Apr 6 08:12:18 UTC 2011

Hey Colin!

On 04/06/2011 08:55 AM, Colin Putney wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Chris Muller<asqueaker at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> SqueakMap is the most appropriate place for this to be registered;
>> Help>>ExtendingTheSystem is now obsolete.
>>
>> Colin, if you don't mind selecting "Create new Release" from the
>> SqueakMap context menu, and pasting that script in, we can then have
>> it accessible via a UI that is already built into Squeak.  Please name
>> the release that loads the latest-and-greatest, "head" and that will
>> always be sorted to the top.
>
> Erm... I don't see any "Create New Release" item in the context menu.
> Are we talking about the brown window that opens up after selecting
> "SqueakMap Catalog" from the App menu in a 4.2 image? Or something on
> map.squeak.org?

The former BUT I think you need a trunk image, AFAICT 4.2 doesn't have
the newer snapshots of SqueakMap. NOTE: I haven't been involved in Chris
latest stuff, so I am just now looking at it for the first time.

The trunk image I just downloaded has it:

http://ftp.squeak.org/4.3/Squeak4.3alpha-11157.zip

...and I presume that if you do your releases with that one, then they
can of course be installed from a 4.2 image etc.

> I haven't used SqueakMap in a long time (not since 2005, apparently)
> so I'm not up to speed on how it works.

Neither am I but Chris has made some really nice and important
improvements here and really breathed life into it again! And I know
there is a new web UI in the works.

regards, Göran