Imports, namespaces, packages (was Re: [squeak-dev] Did we really nailed files?)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Apr 8 23:04:14 UTC 2011

Chris Muller wrote:
> And this is why I think we haven't needed to wreak early-bound
> namespace solutions onto ourselves; complete with "imports", name
> resolution rules, blah blah blech.

For those on the list who haven't seen it, here's the current draft of
the ECMAScript modules proposal. It's really not bad at all. It
dispenses with the java-style One Namespace To Rule Them All, instead
making modules first-class (on occasion) and lexically scoped (on other
occasions):

	http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:modules

It's well worth looking at. It's similar in some respects to Newspeak's
system.

Regards,
   Tony