[squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 3.2 is released

Balázs Kósi rebmekop at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 05:38:40 UTC 2011

Hi,

Today I restarted my efforts of basing SimpleMorphic on Cuis' morphic.
My previous try stalled, because it proved to be hard to gap the
divergence of Squeak and Cuis outside the code I brought from there.
(IIRC I was fiddling with CharacterScanner incompatibilities lately)

So my new approach is to sever a bigger chunk from Cuis .
 - I grabbed not only Morphic and the Theme categories but also all
the code from System-Text, Tools, Shout and Graphics-Text and three
more classes (Preferences Preference RunArray). [1]
 - Then loaded it with the little utility I attached [2]. This
converts category and class names and class references.
 - Then I've loaded the SMx package, and started the long battle with
the errors popping up, eventually slipping into changing the extracted
SimpleMorphic package.

I've uploaded the results to the SimpleMorphicSqueak repo [3].
Hopefully it can be loaded into a clean trunk image. It's possible to
create a new project, open the world menu and return to the previous
project.

The next steps will be to make the tools (from Cuis) work, by
improving the SMx package. I hope this will solder the code into the
Trunk. Then make the ToolBuilder work, and then we hopefully can pick
up the thread where we left and merge with Edgar. What do you think?

Balázs

p.s: We have 3 overrides in Trunk code. Two in Rectangle (Rectangle >>
quickMerge:, Rectangle class >> merging: ). Both to accept nil instead
of Rectangles. The third is DisplayScreen >> defaultCanvasClass. It
dispatches on
Project current to get the canvas class, so SimpleMorphic can use its
own canvas. Maybe they can integrated into the Trunk.

[1] This is the code I use to get the code out from Cuis:

fs := FileStream newFileNamed: 'SimpleMorphic-3.2.st'.
#('Morphic' 'Theme' 'System-Text' 'Tools' 'Shout' 'Graphics-Text') do:
[ :category |
       (SystemOrganization categoriesMatching: category, '*') do: [ :each |
               SystemOrganization fileOutCategory: each on: fs ] ].
#(Preferences Preference RunArray) do: [ :className | (Smalltalk
classNamed: className) fileOutOn: fs ].
fs close.

[2] This is the code to load the filed out code:

transformer := SMxFilePackageTransformer fromFileNamed: 'SimpleMorphic-3.2.st'.
transformer filePackage fixClassOrder.
transformer filePackage fileIn

[3] Load script:

Installer squeaksource