[squeak-dev] Inbox and Communication

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sat Apr 16 17:18:19 UTC 2011

On 04/16/2011 06:42 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com
> <mailto:colin at wiresong.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Eliot Miranda
>     <eliot.miranda at gmail.com <mailto:eliot.miranda at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > Use some false initials that name the branch, and start its
>     version numbers
>      > from e.g. 1.  So I name my open-source Cog versions
>     VMMaker-oscog.N.  The
>      > package still has my initials as author.  David is using
>      > VMMaker-oscog.dtl.N, etc.
>
>     Actually, MC does have some support for branching. If you use the
>     following convention, MC will do the "right" thing - group the
>     branched versions together in the UI, automatically suggest a version
>     name that's on a branch, and still allow you to merge between
>     branches. The naming convention is:

>     So if Eliot were using the standard convention, his versions would be
>     named like this:
>
>     VMMaker.oscog-eem.147
>

> I shall start using this.  Thanks.

We used a similar scheme in Gjallar development - works great. And one
branch/person can be designated as "trunk" and merges the other's
snapshots in selectively and typically makes snapshots that "work".

Then the other devs can just snapshot away (possibly by first rebasing,
but we didn't do that) and occasionally merge with the "trunk" to get
all the other's contributions that have been allowed into trunk.

regards, Göran