[squeak-dev] Hello list

Rodney Polkinghorne rodneyp at physics.uq.edu.au
Tue Apr 19 02:52:40 UTC 2011

I've been playing with Squeak for two days.  I'm very impressed, and
curious about the community that developed it.  So I thought I'd say
hello.

I'm a computational physicist, developing a new algorithm to integrate
Schrodinger's equation.  I tried Smalltalk because of the integrated
interface.  It would be good to have an exception handler that pops up
a time series of the bad data, and lets me click to examine the
timestep where it started to go wrong.  Smalltalk seems like the
language most likely to do that.

Now that I've tried it, I really like the access I have to the
interpreter.  If something is broken, you can take off the cover and
fix it.

So now I have a changeset that adds "real" and "imaginary" methods to
Number, along with a bunch of tests.  Where should I send it to be
considered for the main distribution?

Rodney Polkinghorne