[squeak-dev] Direct implementation of shift/reset in Smalltalk

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Apr 21 17:03:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I never did understand the functional difference between
> continuations and suspended processes.

It's true, they are very similar in that the state they contain is
exactly the same. However, suspended process can only be resumed once,
where a continuation can be evaluated more than once. Evaluating a
continuation boils down to creating a suspended process, replacing the
current process with it, and resuming.

> Do you have any links to how partial continuations are useful?

I think it just boils down to memory consumption. Everything you can
do with partial continuations you can also do by composing full
continuations.

Colin