[squeak-dev] inverse hyperbolic function

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 19:24:11 UTC 2011

Just a question of language: how to name them in English ?
Using asinh acosh atanh like any other programming language do would
be that simple...
But Smalltalk did not follow that path and didn't implement asin acos atan...

In French, inverse hyperbolic functions are named like this
argument sinus hyperbolique (argsh ou argsinh)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonction_hyperbolique#Argument_tangente_hyperbolique

So I decided to use argSinh argCosh argTanh quite naturally (like we
have arcSin arcCos arcTan).

However I'm not sure English has same conventions. Can someone enlighten me?

Nicolas