[OT] Re: [squeak-dev] inverse hyperbolic function

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Apr 21 23:43:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> No one is saying Wolfram is a God, I am just saying that he is an authority on mathematical programming.
> Mathematica is very successful, and based on sound mathematical principles.
> If you do not want to accept Wolfram as an authority, that's up to you I suppose.
>
> I also see Maple uses arcsinh etc.
>
> Mathematica and Maple are two of the main mathematical programs out there.
> I see no real useful purpose in going against their standards.
> And I think you will be hard pressed to find 'H' in the notation for inverse hyperbolic functions in math textbooks.

Should we do everything like VW or Gemstone, just because those are the
successful commercial smalltalk implementations nowadays? No. So why
should we follow the conventions of the two successful commercial computer
algebra systems? And what about Matlab? That's also a "main mathematical
program", isn't it?

Levente