[squeak-dev] inverse hyperbolic function

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 23:48:38 UTC 2011

2011/4/22 Ken G. Brown <kbrown at mac.com>:
> At 12:58 AM +0200 4/22/11, Nicolas Cellier apparently wrote:
>>2011/4/22 Ken G. Brown <kbrown at mac.com>:
>><snip>

>>> So let's pretend Wolfram knows something about mathematical notation.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>

>>Thinking of Wolfram as a God is Religion and there is nothing to
>>debate in this case.
>>But thinking of Wolfram as a human creation helps exercizing rational
>>skeptical inquiry.
>>
>>Until someone exhibits a good rationale for employing arcus, it will be area.
>>
>>Nicolas
>
> No one is saying Wolfram is a God, I am just saying that he is an authority on mathematical programming.
> Mathematica is very successful, and based on sound mathematical principles.
> If you do not want to accept Wolfram as an authority, that's up to you I suppose.

If I can't disagree with an authority then it must be God.
Maybe it will sound anarchist, but I recognize Mathematica as a
reference, not as an authority.

> I also see Maple uses arcsinh etc.

Oh yes, even Axiom, I'm very disappointed !

> Mathematica and Maple are two of the main mathematical programs out there.
> I see no real useful purpose in going against their standards.
> And I think you will be hard pressed to find 'H' in the notation for inverse hyperbolic functions in math textbooks.
>
> Ken

Certainly, neither postfixed notation, x cosH, so at the end I'm not
sure it matters that much.
Look, Mathematica and Axiom don't agree on casing ArcSinh vs arcsinh,
why would we have to ?

Nicolas