[squeak-dev] Morphic Performance Graphs

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Apr 28 22:10:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Ben Coman wrote:

> hi all,
>
> Last month as an introduction to Squeak I did some performance testing for
> the creation of morphs, and a comparison between derivatives of Squeak.  An
> advance copy of one of the graphs was posted previously, but I have since
> updated the graphs and discussion based on feedback at that time.  I was
> going to tweak them some more but have been distracted by other priorities,
> and so I thought I would just post them now.  I hope they are of some
> interest.  I'll look at updating the graphs later, unless someone beats me
> too it in the comments.
>
> http://blog.openinworld.com/2011/03/morphic-performance/
> http://blog.openinworld.com/2011/03/morphic-flavour-performance/
> http://blog.openinworld.com/2011/04/performance-testing-spreadsheet/
>
> Its my first go at a blog (I hear all the cool kids are doin' it) - so any
> and all feedback on style and content is welcome.

Interesting benchmark. For better comparison I ran it on my pc using the
same VM (Cog r2382) and recent images.

Morphic Performance Test Code v3.0 - Squeak 4.3-11353, CogVM r2382
amount, createTime, hideTime, showTime, deleteTime
1, 51, 3, 19, 101
10, 12, 16, 23, 64
100, 66, 53, 61, 54
200, 71, 58, 68, 55
300, 82, 58, 76, 54
400, 88, 56, 83, 59
500, 95, 56, 92, 55
600, 102, 59, 98, 55
700, 111, 58, 104, 56
800, 118, 57, 113, 57
900, 125, 62, 117, 55
1000, 138, 60, 133, 57
2000, 215, 67, 195, 57
3000, 314, 154, 265, 58
4000, 375, 76, 336, 62
5000, 454, 83, 443, 60
6000, 607, 82, 482, 59
7000, 621, 94, 702, 64
8000, 768, 99, 623, 62
9000, 847, 99, 719, 64
10000, 944, 105, 809, 65
30000, 2713, 307, 2740, 98
100000, 9475, 1061, 10158, 415

Morphic Performance Test Code v3.0 - Pharo 1.3-13171, CogVM r2382
amount, createTime, hideTime, showTime, deleteTime
1, 17, 4, 20, 40
10, 14, 10, 21, 39
100, 50, 41, 44, 23
200, 57, 42, 57, 22
300, 81, 57, 80, 21
400, 93, 68, 97, 20
500, 123, 85, 120, 22
600, 137, 90, 143, 23
700, 159, 111, 160, 22
800, 170, 115, 175, 22
900, 200, 136, 200, 23
1000, 215, 142, 219, 22
2000, 411, 275, 425, 22
3000, 605, 396, 632, 26
4000, 808, 524, 830, 24
5000, 1076, 664, 1034, 25
6000, 1191, 776, 1233, 26
7000, 1386, 911, 1446, 26
8000, 1587, 1044, 1651, 29
9000, 1787, 1159, 1893, 36
10000, 2140, 1334, 2048, 29
30000, 6037, 3906, 6335, 56
100000, 21994, 13990, 22803, 167

Morphic Performance Test Code v3.0 - Cuis 3.2-0914, CogVM r2382
amount, createTime, hideTime, showTime, deleteTime
1, 49, 22, 20, 55
10, 4, 21, 26, 57
100, 11, 76, 46, 36
200, 56, 36, 54, 36