[squeak-dev] Re: Morphic Performance Graphs

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Fri Apr 29 14:25:43 UTC 2011

Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Nice! :)
>
> I think you should run several passes for each value of "amount" and
> visualize the average value for each "amount" to get more meaningful
> results. There are several peaks in your graphs that, I think, do not
> represent the average use case but the influence of another hidden variable
> (e.g., garbage collector) you want to block out in your results.
>
> As far as I could see, you did not considered that in your benchmark code.
> Correct me, if I am wrong. :)
>
> Marcel
>
> --

You are correct that the results are only one-shot and not averaged
across multiple runs.  Early on I did implement multiple-runs but it was
an added complication for the blog entry.  Also I find the peaks
enlightening without hiding the general rising trend.

What I did find really interesting is the way the peaks disappeared in
Figure 2 of morphic-flavour-performance.  This was still just one-shot
results.  It almost seems like "ActiveWorld doOneCycle" schedules a
garbage collection after it completes, such that GC no longer occurs at
random times.