[squeak-dev] bug report: Nebraska telemorphic times out

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 30 16:11:32 UTC 2011

On 30.04.2011, at 02:33, Gary Dunn wrote:

> 2. I have "resolved" #7625, "Nebraska badge always displays local
> name." This is by design. The way to create badges for other people is
> given in the comments for the EToySenderMorph.

It's always been a pain to get the badges for your peers. That's why the cool object transfer between images remained a demo at best and never saw real use.

We use it in Etoys on the OLPC laptop though. There, the Sugar environment provides a presence service that can report the name your online buddies, and helps to establish a TCP connection. From that, we automatically create the badges.

This lets kids send their own scripted objects to others, and there is text chat. We disabled Nebraska and Audio chat because they were not working well enough.

We'd like to have a "presence service" independent of Sugar that would discover other Etoys users in the local network automatically. But so far nobody found the time to implement that. It could be quite simple just doing local network broadcasts, or it could use the "telepathy" library like Sugar does.

- Bert -