[squeak-dev] something we lost with events [was Optimizing RunArray]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 01:38:10 UTC 2011

On 3 August 2011 03:00, Nicolas Cellier
> I've got the feeling that we've lost one feature:
>
> When you're typing super fast, characters would be inserted several at
> once in a st80 ParagraphEditor
> That typically happens when the displaying or more probably the
> paragraph re-composition is slow.
> The composition/display cycle would occur after first key - giving the
> impression of a non responsive UI - but then consecutive key strokes
> would flow all in once thanks to the while loops in #readKeyboard and
> the buffered Queue of events.
>
> Not the most interactive UI ever, but now things are worse with
> current event implementation.
> There is a one by one keystroke / composition / display, and the
> result is a less responsive UI than polling !
> If you edit a Smalltalk method, no problem, but try editing your 45
> MByte change log just to see how deadly it feels, super fast means 0.2
> Hz on my machine.
>
> I wonder how we could restore this feature...

My take is that we should optimize Text data structure for editing.
Because right now, its contents are stored in a single blobby string.
And every time you modifying it,
you have to create new string.. which consuming a lot of energy when
you editing 45Mbytes :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.