[squeak-dev] small fix to help newbies

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:44:10 UTC 2011

On 8 August 2011 03:42, P. <uploaded at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm sending this email to both Squeak-dev and Pharo-project as you can see.
> This is to suggest a fix.
>
> I typed this on a workspace:
>
> closure := [:x | Transcript show: x].
> closure value: "hey".
>
> And when I "did it", the VM had me looking at this:
>
> closure := [:x | Transcript show: x].
> closure value: "hey". Argument expected ->
>
> Which is cryptic at best for a newbie.
> I visited #squeak at irc.freenode.net and asked there.
> Ken Causey helped me out and even he missed the difference between "" and ''
> for a second.
> I believe it would be beneficial to newbies to have this enhanced somehow,
> to point
> out the fact that strings aren't double-quoted.

Tricky, given that the error message is correct. After you strip out
the comments, you have

  closer value: .

which is clearly not kosher.

What kind of fix would work for you? I'm just thinking that
special-casing when you have a process part of a keyword message send
followed by a comment is tricky:

  this is: "valid" code

for instance.

frank