[squeak-dev] Re: Ometa vs XTreams PEG, PetitParser, Helvetia

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 18:02:23 UTC 2011

On 19 August 2011 22:42, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com> wrote:
> Hey Frank,
>

> Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to install Helvetia (well, LanguageBoxes, specifically) at
>> the moment. It has massive dependencies: OmniBrowser, ECompletion,
>> Polymorph, ... that I'm slowly wading through.
>>
> Were you successful in loading everything? And did you publish the
> installation code anywhere? I was just thinking about these projects in
> Pharo 1.3...

I stalled with a laptop screen dying with my half-completed work on
it, and then distracted by PetitParser. Having given a bunch of
half-baked excuses :) it's high time I restarted my efforts.

> Frank Shearar wrote:
>> (What's frustrating is I
>> don't care about the UI integration (and I don't see why Helvetia's
>> _core_ should plug into _any_ UI))
>>
> Did you ask Lukas?

As always, Lukas is very helpful and polite. I suggested a plan of
attack that he thinks isn't unreasonable, and once I reload the bits
and pieces I will attempt to break Helvetia into several packages - a
core, with no UI dependencies at all, a Pharo integration package, and
a Squeak integration package. Or at least rip out the UI integration
so I can use the core, and hope to attract helpers for any UI
integration :)

frank